NBA Playoff Betting Preview: Rockets vs. Spurs, May 1, 2017
by Jim Feist
A battle in the Western Conference of clashing styles, as Mike D’Antoni’s Houston Rockets are all about running-and-gunning, while San Antonio is a powerhouse defensive team. They meet in Game 1 Monday night, May 1, 2017. The Spurs are -5.5 home favorites with the total at 213. The teams last met March 6 on this floor with the Spurs winning, 112-100, as -3.5 chalk, with the total falling on the number of 222. The teams split a pair of games back in November, with the Rockets winning on the road and San Antonio winning at Houston, 106-100. That’s 2-1 under the total for the season series.
- #3 Houston is on a 3-11 ATS run, beating OKC in 5 games.
- The Rockets #2 in the NBA in points scored, but #26 points allowed.
- Playoff numbers: Patrick Beverley (11.6 ppg, 6.2 rpg), James Harden (33.2 ppg, 7 apg), Trevor Ariza (6.2 ppg, 4.6 rpg), Ryan Anderson (7.4 ppg, 5.2 rpg), Clint Capela (7.6 ppg, 6.6 rpg).
- Houston is 10-4 under the total on the road, 23-9-1 under away vs. a team with a winning home record.
- The Rockets set the NBA regular season record for three-pointers made and attempted, but shot 28.4% from long range against Oklahoma City. Trevor Ariza and Ryan Anderson shot a combined 6-for-40 from distance, while Harden made 12 of his 50 attempts.
- The Rockets are the only Western Conference team that the Spurs haven’t played in the playoffs under Coach Gregg Popovich.
(Jim Feist is on a 100-60 NBA run. NBA, MLB and NHL cash Monday: Click: FastFactsToday)
- #2 Spurs: #2 in NBA in points allowed and field goal shooting Defense.
- 4th trip to Western Conference Finals in 5 years.
- 7-1 ATS on 3+ days rest, thought 6-14 ATS after a victory.
- Playoff stats: 36-year old Tony Parker (16.3 ppg, 3 apg), Danny Green (5.8 ppg, 3 rpg), Kawhi Leonard (31.2 ppg, 6 rpg), LaMarcus Aldridge (14.8 ppg, 7.3 rpg) and David Lee (5.5 ppg, 4.8 rpg)
- 18-8-2 under after a victory.
Head to head matchup: The Under is 4-1-1 when they clash, but the over is 4-1-1 at the Spurs. The road team is 5-0 ATS, the Rockets just 2-5 ATS against San Antonio.
Free scores and NBA odds daily at JimFeist.com