NBA Playoff Betting Preview: Cavs vs. Celtics Game 5, May 25, 2017
by Jim Feist
The Cleveland Cavaliers look to win the East again and advance to the NBA Finals for the third straight year with a win in Game 5 tonight at Boston, Thursday, May 25, 2017. The Cavaliers are 10-point road favorites and the total in Vegas is 215-. The home team is 1-3 SU/0-4 ATS in this strange series.
The Celtics got blown out of the water in Games 1 and 2 at home, as the Cavaliers took those first two games by an average of 28.5 points, including a 130-86 rout in Game 2. Boston has a ton of injuries, with guard Isaiah Thomas out, Jae Crowder (15.5 points and 7.8 rebounds in the series) battling a groin injury and F Jaylen Brown (hip pointer) questionable. Boston is 2-9 all time when down 3-1 in a playoff series. You never know what will happen in a game, but Vegas oddsmakers have already posted the line for the NBA Finals Game 1 (Warriors -7.5, total of 226 versus Cleveland).
- Cavaliers: #4 in the NBA in scoring, #2 in threes (.384%), #23 in free throws.
- Defense: #19 in points allowed, #16 field goal shooting defense, #18 at defending the three.
- 11-1 SU in playoffs. 6-2 SU vs Boston this season. 6-0-1 ATS away
- Cleveland is on a 35-17-1 run over the total.
- Game 4: Cavs roll late, 112-99, with a sizzling 65-42 second half. The Cavaliers shot 59.5% from the field as Boston hasn’t been able to slow down this offense.
(Jim Feist is on a 115-68 NBA run. NL Total of the Month cashes Thursday: Click: FastFactsToday)
#1 Boston Celtics (62-37; 35-15 Home) – Brad Stevens
- #1 Seed Celtics: #7 in scoring, #15 in points allowed, #9 in field goal shooting defense, #2 in three-point defense.
- Marcus Smart plays with passion but has not been much of a factor — outside of Game 3. He stepped up with 27 points, 7 assists on 7-of-10 three-point shooting.
- Game 3: Celtics win 111-108. Cavs led 66-50 at half, shooting 45.7% for the game, 16-of-39 on three-pointers, while the Celtics shot 46%, 18-of-40 threes. LeBron James had 11 points, Kevin Love 28, Kyrie Irving 29.
- Boston is on an 8-1-1 ATS run, plus an 11-4 ATS run.
Head to head matchup: Road team is 10-2-1 ATS, the under is 7-1 when these teams meet at Boston.
Free scores and NBA odds daily at JimFeist.com