#3 UCLA vs #2 Kentucky – Friday, Memphis, TN
by Jim Feist
A huge showdown and a revenge game as UCLA and Kentucky square off in Sweet 16 action onFriday, March 24, 2017. The game opened pick, with UCLA moving to a small favorite. The total has moved even more, downward from 169 to 165.5.
- 19-1 start, incl/ 97-92 win at Kentucky. 3-10 ATS vs SEC.
- UCLA is tops in the nation in scoring (90.4 ppg) behind 6-10 freshman T.J. Leaf (16 ppg, 8.2 rpg), freshman 6-6 guard Lonzo Ball (14.7 ppg, 6 rpg, 7.6 apg). They have a veteran backcourt in senior guard Bryce Alford (15.6 ppg) and Isaac Hamilton (14 ppg).
- 9-3 run under the total. UCLA is 5-1 ATS vs Kentucky
Kentucky (31-5) 6-15 ATS run, 8-1 run under. 12-2 under after a victory
· The Wildcats have another powerhouse young team for John Calipari. The backcourt leads the way with freshmen guards De’Aaron Fox (16 ppg), Malik Monk (20 ppg) and sophomore Isaiah Briscoe (12.5 ppg), while 6-10 freshman Edrice Adebayo (13.3 p, 8 rpg) crashes the glass.
· 9-4-1 ATS neutral sites.
· Dec 3 at Kentuck: UCLA won 97-92 as +11 dog, over the total of 176. Kentucky had won 42 in a row at home. T.J. Leaf had 17 points and 13 rebounds as the Bruins shot 53%. Besides hitting 35 of 66 from the field, UCLA outrebounded Kentucky 41-38 and limited the Wildcats to 41% shooting. “This is a lesson for us,” said John Calipari. “We didn’t have the energy. I had to call a timeout a minute into the game.” They fell to 124-5 SU at Rupp Arena under Calipari.